Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Banana Bread

My sister recently requested this recipe, so I thought I'd just put it here for all to see. It is popular with most every taster due to its classic-ness and its special layer of tasty slime (sorry, couldn't think of a more appetizing alternative). The recipe came from my mom, who has been baking it forever, as far as I know. Not sure where it came from, but no other BB recipe has been able to take its place in my heart. Especially because it is easier than all get-out. (Try also freezing your old bananas ahead of time and then letting them defrost a bit on the counter before you bake – if you can handle the sensation of squeezing the banana from its "greasy black peel" you will avoid the mashing altogether. The texture is only slightly affected.)


Banana Bread

Preheat: 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients: 
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 ounces (1/2 stick) melted butter or margarine
3 mashed bananas  
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup walnuts (I have never once added the nuts, but it could be good. I guess.)

Instructions:
Hand beat the egg; mix in the sugar. 
Add the melted butter and mix well. 
Mix flour, soda, and salt in a separate bowl (I sift them together if I'm feeling ambitious). Add alternately with the mashed bananas to the egg/sugar/butter mixture and mix well.

Bake 50-55 minutes in loaf pan. 

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks like a good recipe. I love banana bread - I'll have to try it. I recommend taking the bananas out of the peel before freezing though - for some reason freezing with the peel, I've found, affects the taste.

(I also sneak chocolate chips into my banana bread sometimes - coat them in a bit of flour to prevent the chips from sinking to the bottom.. heavenly - that is if you can get chocolate chips! ;)

Swiss Ms. said...

Oh man, now I am having an intense internal debate about whether this recent loaf I made tastes funny due to the skins. I'll have to make another to compare. Well, two actually, since my bananas for this loaf also happened to be moldy. I need control bananas.

Hmm....