Wednesday, October 17, 2007

(In)sicurezza



A Swiss political party's recent campaign ad for national “security” caused a big stir, especially around the rest of Europe, where, as far as I can tell, Switzerland is frequently given the eyebrow, if not viewed with outright suspicion. A friend had mentioned the ad prior to our departure, but somehow I was still surprised to see it on our second day in Lugano. Regrettably without a camera, I had to wait a week or so to return and furtively snap a shot. In the meantime, riots had broken out in Bern at a political rally, and nearby in Lugano, someone had added a bit of commentary to the poster!

I’ve been enjoying the creative graffiti around town, especially on the political billboards – a well-placed Hitler mustache, I must admit, really gives me a giggle (even if maybe it shouldn’t). Until I can read newspapers and/or get regular Internet access, I don’t suppose I’ll be able to learn much more about the political situation except through these billboards, so I’ve been reading carefully.

1 comment:

Jessica Jones said...

That's the best, most eloquent use of graffiti I've ever seen. I sort of wish I had done it myself.